Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Trial Cake

Helen did a trial run on the cake she's going to make for Derek's birthday party. The recipe was for a round cake and she wanted to make sure that it would work as a sheet cake. It turned out fine. She's made the cake before and it's really good. She got the recipe off of epicurious.com where one of the reviewers of the recipe said they were done searching for a chocolate cake recipe after trying that one.

Helen has definitely spoiled me as far as cooking is concerned. Store-bought or not-from-scratch recipes just aren't the same. When I complain that I can't eat all the stuff she likes to make she says that I can always take it to work. Somehow, I usually manage to dig down and power through it on my own.

Helen also made rum raisin ice cream and strawberry ice cream in her new ice cream maker. She got distracted and cooked the rum raisin filling too long so that it turned almost custard like. It was still good and had a kick to it. Helen got a little loopy eating it. She decided that she'll puree the strawberries next time, otherwise the strawberry chunks taste like big ice cubes.

No comments: