Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dr Pepper

Helen has been eliminating High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and other "bad" things from our diet recently, so I’ve become more interested in food labels. I was not happy to find that my beloved, Dr Pepper, contains HFCS like almost all other soft drinks. In reading about HFCS it seems that there’s at least one Dr Pepper bottler (the nation’s oldest) in Texas, Dublin Dr Pepper, which refused to switch from cane sugar to HFCS. They have quite a cult following and have their own web site where you can order their product. I ordered two cases which came out to about $.78 a can after shipping charges. They arrived on Monday and I passed them around the office. We all thought that the Dublin Dr Pepper had a smoother after taste. I thought I could really taste the cane sugar, especially at the end. I'm going to do a "blind" taste test one of these days to see if I can really tell a difference.

1 comment:

Chris said...

That is very interesting! I would definitely like to do a taste test on that. IF you have any left or have more by Derek's bday I'd like to try it. Man, you can find anything on the internet!! That's great, I know how much you love your DP!