Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Flood of 2009

Six Flags Amusement Park

Downtown I-75\85 Connector

Rainfall totals: white = 15+ inches

While I was finishing up the blogging on our road trip and dealing with my newly diagnosed Bells Palsy, Atlanta was being flooded by rain.

It had been raining pretty good for a couple of days and there were some flash flood watches on the television when Derek asked if we were going to be flooded like in New Orleans. I told him that we don't get flooded like that. I was wrong. It kept raining...a lot...every day for 8 days.

Our immediate area was never in any danger, but there were neighbors with water damage in their basements. It seems that even fairly minor drainage problems were exposed by the sheer volume of rain. This week there were many houses with rotten carpet and other debris at the curb for garbage pickup.

School was closed for a couple of days so Helen and the kids got an unexpected holiday. There were a number of bridges closed near my office which resulted in some bad commutes for several days.

And, of course, all the soccer and tennis matches were postponed and now have to be squeezed into an already overbooked schedule.

There are many images of the flood on the internet. Here are some good ones where I pulled the above pictures from.

No comments: