Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What about the trip?



Adam was excited to see "the Dome" he had studied about in school

Derek took this shot of me and Adam running the bases at the Coke pavilion

Whohoo! Last day of school!

There are a lot of things to do when you return from a long trip. There's all the stuff that has to be put away, laundry, yard work, etc. And, of course, it's summer vacation for Helen and the kids so there's visiting with friends, pool time, staying up late to watch movies, etc. All these things conspire to keep me from updating the blog as I would like. In fact, I still haven't written about last year's Disney World trip (although I still plan to).

We take these big trips and I have all this information to blog about, but because we're doing all the other things I don't get the free time to blog like I do during the school year. It's enough to make a guy cranky. I told Helen that I would feel better if I could just get all the pictures and video copied to the computer, trim the hedges, and start blogging about the trip for my loyal readers. Tonight we watched the first of 3 hour long videos from our trip.

The week before we left was hectic with the end of the school year, getting ready for our 2 week road trip, and everything. Helen was stressed about getting all her grades done and whether or not a high profile spoiled athlete with a cocky attitude, enabling parents, terrible work ethic, and scholarship offer was going to pass her class. The kid passed - barely, but Helen was worried that the administration was going to pressure her to pass the kid or change the grade without her consent. Whenever she has a student issue where the parents or administration is involved she gets very stressed out. I usually think it's no big deal - handle the situation based on your principles and don't worry about what others think. I always tell her, "What's the worst thing that can happen? They fire you and you find another job or better yet...you stay home." Oh, and she was due to turn 40 in a couple weeks while we were on our trip. She didn't seem too bothered about turning 40. We joked that she was too busy to think about it.

On the Tuesday before we left I surprised the boys and checked them out of school in order to go to the Braves vs Mets afternoon baseball game. I started the yearly tradition of taking them out of school for an afternoon Braves game when Derek was in preschool. We saw a neighbor of ours and Adam's baseball coach. It was a beautiful afternoon, we ate lots of junk, and the Braves won.

No comments: