Thursday, June 12, 2008

Road Trip 2008: Day 1 of 17 (Atlanta to Mobile)

Friday May 23

We originally planned on leaving on Saturday so we wouldn't be so rushed and we planned on New Orleans being our first destination before heading to Pierre Part, LA to stay with my sister Katie and her boyfriend, Todd. But, Todd's work schedule meant that we needed to be in Pierre Part for an all day party on Sunday. So, we rushed to get out of town and make it to Mobile, AL Friday so we could head on bright and early to New Orleans.

The boys spent Thursday night at Helen's parents since they were out of school and Helen had to attend her school's graduation. The graduation lasted longer than she expected and I got hung up at work, so we didn't get on the road until 3:30 - right in the middle of Memorial Day weekend traffic. Once we made it through Atlanta the drive was pretty smooth. We gained an hour with the time change and arrived about 9:30.

The first night was 1 of only 2 nights that we prebooked. The other being Tuesday night in Baton Rouge. I knew that trying to save some money on the hotel each night would make a difference over 17 days, so the first night I booked the Baymont Hotel in Mobile. Usually, I go into my hotel booking thinking I want to be cheap, but I find it hard pulling the trigger on anything less than 3 stars when I see the online pictures of the properties. The Baymont was definitely less than 3 stars, but I thought we would see how it went. It was fine and they even had a free breakfast, but that was the last of our staying in a "motel". I don't know what the formal distinction between a hotel and a motel is, but I always thought it was that you access a motel room from the parking lot vs an interior hallway. If that's the case then the Baymont was a "motel" and we just felt more comfortable in hotels.

No comments: