Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lulu Centric



It's been almost 3 years now since we adopted our pet dachshund, Tallula (aka Lulu, Jabooboo, etc). It's hard to believe how much the boys have taken to her.

When the boys were born we had 2 big labs - Bailey a black lab and Madison a buff colored lab. The boys were more or less ambivalent towards them. The dogs were around but there was no real bond. We put Bailey down several years ago and Madison a year or so after we got Lulu.

Since then Lulu has become front and center in the boy's lives. They fight over who gets to sleep with her each night and they're constantly searching her out to cuddle. When we go away they talk about how much they miss Jabooboo. It seems strange how they never really bonded with the other dogs like they have with Lulu. I guess it's a combination of Lulu being more their size and the fact that they are a little older and more aware.

As a rule, Helen and I don't much care for smaller dogs, but for some reason we have always liked dachshunds. Forget about schnauzers, shitzus, or any of the other more foofoo dogs.

I'm definitely not happy that Lulu still pee's in the house sometimes, but I love the fact that her accidents are so small compared to our labs who's waste was more like that of a horse.

There's a dog park next to where the boys play hockey. Big dogs are in one section and little dogs are in another. We were in the small dog section with Lulu the other day longingly watching the big dogs play in the other section when Helen made a great observation - "I think I like big dog people better than little dog people." I had to agree.

Lulu is a great little dog and has been a welcome addition to the family, despite the fact she's somewhat of a little princess. I take her with me when I walk the boys to school and when I'm walking back with Lulu on the leash I want to somehow let everyone else know that I'm really not a little dog person, but oh well.

No comments: