Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Copper Mountain (Day 2 of 6)

Copper Mountain Trail Map (pdf)

Adam and Derek are dressed and waiting on Mom and Dad

Adam checks out the mountain from our balcony

Can't wait to hit the hot tubs below after a day of skiing

Derek carries his ski's to the lift

I'm all bundled up

Derek is ready to enter the lift line

Adam, Derek, and I waiting (as usual) on Helen (in the background)

Helen and Adam heading down

Me and Adam enjoying the hot tubs after skiing

Me striking a pose

Cuddling with Mommy after a long day is what it's all about


Friday February 12, 2010

The kids were up too early (still on Atlanta time) after getting settled so late the night before. They were eager to get it going. The weather looked nice as we headed out to pick up our equipment near the lifts.

Copper Mountain has 3 villages. We stayed in Center Village (map), just a few minutes walk to the lifts. We rented equipment at Peak Sports, which is right next to the American Eagle lift.

It's always pretty hectic trying to get everyone settled with their equipment. I expect everyone to "take care of their own business" (as I am fond of saying) and I have no patience when the kids (or Helen) fumble around with their equipment.

Our usual ordering is that I lead, followed closely by Derek, Adam lags and then runs to catch up, leaving Helen who had originally stayed behind with Adam. It's not that I have to lead but everyone else is so dang slow that I lead and assume everyone else will follow - or be left behind.

I was heading to another area of the store to reserve a bin for our shoes and was wondering what the heck was taking everyone so long. I turned around and found that nobody was behind me. I disgustedly backtracked and found everyone fumbling around. I shot Helen a disgusted look and she shot one right back at me. It seems that Derek had just barely made it outside to puke while all his stuff lay scattered in the walkway.

We finally got everyone squared away with their equipment and headed for the lift. Derek said he felt better after puking and acted eager to ski. We were closest to the American Eagle lift, but we had to walk a little further to the American Flyer lift because it led to easier green runs.

As we all went to get on the chair lift - I looked back and Helen was saying something about Adam not being ready as she fell down. I got on the chair lift and turned around to see that my family (much to my obvious disgust) had failed to get on the lift and the lift had to be stopped while my family untangled. So disappointing. Of course, Helen was irritated at me because I had left everyone to manage for themselves - exactly.

For our first run we chose, Coppertone, a nice long green run. Derek's eagerness quickly gave way to whining. Obviously, he had gotten altitude sickness like he had the year before. He kept falling and crying that he didn't want to ski anymore. We told him that he had to at least ski down the mountain before he could go back to the condo. After some crying and falls he finally made it down and he and Helen headed back to the condo. I don't think Helen minded. Before the trip Derek kept talking about wanting to ski a black diamond run, but after the first run it didn't look very promising.

Adam and I stayed out and skied most of the day. A lot of the lifts stop running about 3:30 and they all stop running by 4:00. Adam and I had a good time and talked about all kinds of things. The temperature was in the mid teens with blowing snow. I had my ski gaiter up over my face, but Adam insisted that he couldn't breathe with his gaiter over his mouth so he ended up with some rosy red cheeks and purple lips.

Helen said that Derek was pitiful on the way back to the condo and at one point a maintenance person gave him a bag in case he needed to puke again. When Adam and I got back to the condo, Helen was looking nice and rested. Derek came out of our bedroom looking a little groggy, but started to pep up as the evening wore on. Just like last year, after some pizza and Dr Pepper for dinner Derek seemed to feel much better.

Adam and I hit the hot tubs and then we all watched the Olympic opening ceremonies. We always laugh about how, during our first ski trip several years back, we made dinner and activity reservations for a bunch of nights prior to the trip and hated having to go back out for those reservations.

Now whenever we get back to the condo, we eat (like there's no tomorrow), hit the hot tub, shower, eat dinner, and then try desperately to keep our eyes open and stay up until at least 9:00 or so, otherwise we we would be waking up at 4 am.

No comments: