Monday, March 9, 2009

Ski Trip 2009: Steamboat, Colorado (Day 5 of 6)





Monday February 23, 2009

Monday was our last day to ski before heading home and I was anxious to get the most out of the day since we weren't on the slopes for very long for the beautiful day on Sunday. When we woke up the beautiful blue skies had been replaced by overcast grey skies, but it was snowing! We had had plenty of beautiful clear skies, but had not seen fresh snow yet, so we were excited.

Helen and Adam were slow getting going so Derek and I headed out with a plan to meet Helen and Adam at noon at the top of the gondola. Our excitement was quickly dampened when we went outside and realized it was snowing, but it was also drizzling. I mentioned something like, "We could have gone to North Carolina for this!"

When Derek and I got off the lift at mid-mountain it was very soupy. There were times I couldn't see my skis. Derek was anxious to ski, but I was a little worried. The fog seemed to dissipate some so we could ski reasonably safely, but it wasn't fun. I could tell Derek was losing it and it wasn't long before he wanted to go home. By then Helen had called and said that she and Adam were headed up the gondola, so Derek and I had to head there and wait for them.

We had some lunch at the gondola and watched all the people coming in from the wet soupy conditions. We had had 2 of the nicest weather days of the year over the weekend, but Monday was probably the worst. People mentioned it was like late Spring mud season.

After lunch we headed back down the mountain. Derek went with me and I could tell that the lunch gave him some energy. I wasn't pushing him, but I could tell he was re-thinking his wish to go home. We were waiting for Helen and Adam at the bottom when Derek said that we should just try some short runs while we were waiting. We ended up skiing quite a bit. There was a little terrain park that he and I did over and over while we waited. There were some knee high jumps that we had down by the time Helen and Adam finally showed up.

We all went up together and did several more short runs and then I took Derek up higher one last time to the Rabbitt Ears terrain park before we all called it quits.

We were eager to get home and out of the wet weather. We had pretty much crashed, but managed to gather up enough energy to walk over to the Tug Boat Pub down the street for dinner. We had a good time and it was a nice atmosphere, but it was all we could do to hold down all the creamy sauce they put on our dishes. Those creamy sauces taste ok at first, but they get old in a hurry.

After dinner we headed back and started packing for our early morning departure.

No comments: