Thursday, July 1, 2010

Road Trip 2010: Overview

We left on our 3rd annual two week road trip on Friday May 28 and returned home Sunday June 12. This time we took the road trip up the East Coast - 17 days and 2000 miles:
  • Savannah, GA
  • Charleston, SC
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Wilmington, NC
  • Outer Banks, NC
  • Williamsburg, VA
  • Richmond, VA
  • Washington DC
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Hershey, PA
  • Gettysburg, PA
  • Charlottesville, VA
We're so thankful to be able to take these trips. We have such great memories and hope the kids will treasure these times as much as we do.

I love planning the trips as much as actually taking the trips. I wish that Helen and the kids would get more into the planning process, but Helen is always so overwhelmed with the end of the school year that she can't entertain any additional information. The rest of the family seems content to know the general plan and trust that I will work out the details.

It seems that I never have enough time to plan as much as I would like. There are just so many resources to pour over and, as usual, I felt I didn't sufficiently exhaust all possibilities. I struggle on these trips with the fact that I want them to be leisurely and relaxing with no set schedules, but at the same time I want to see and do it all.

Some of my favorite planning resources are:
TripAdvisor
Frommers
RoadFood
Splendid Table
1000 Places To See In The USA and Canada Before You Die

Past Road Trips:
2009
2008

No comments: