Monday, August 24, 2009

Piano Recital

My mom, Derek, and Helen's parents

Adam


Derek

Helen and Derek duet

Adam receives his award

Playing around in the music shop afterwards

The kids with their teacher, Ms Irena

Post recital treat

This past weekend was gorgeous with a hint of fall in the air. The boys had a piano recital on Sunday. All their hard work paid off and they did a great job. Helen was persuaded to do a duet with Derek. She was nervous about it, but she did fine and they both had fun with it. The kids liked that Mommy had to practice just like they have to.

The kids don't like for me to check their piano practice or schoolwork because they say I'm too hard to please. My argument is that their assigned work is not something over their heads like a Bach overture or calculus, rather it is level appropriate and they should be able to nail it. After a recent piano check Adam turned to me and said that I expected them to be perfect when I don't even know how to play myself. I had to admit that he had me there, but I got him back with "...infinity plus 1, infinity plus 1".

Now that the recital is over it will be nice to hear some new songs around the house for a change.

Derek recently became interested in the idea of purchasing his own computer and has been feeling us out for how much we would be willing to contribute to the cause. I keep telling him that we don't have any money left because we're spending it all on piano lessons. He wasn't happy about that.

No comments: