Monday, December 8, 2008

When a shower is your most ambitious goal






We weren't quite that bad off this weekend, but pretty close. We were all exhausted and in bed by 8:00 on Friday night. I had committed to play tennis on Saturday morning and Helen was not happy about it. I wasn't feeling great, but was looking forward to doing something after being sick for so long. Helen felt my head and said that I was warm. I agreed that I wouldn't play if I had a fever. She got the thermometer and, sure enough, I had a fever. I called around to find someone to replace me, but it ended up being a hassle and after a few calls I quit trying and decided that I would just play.

Adam had his first basketball game of the season at 9 on Saturday, so we all had to get up and moving early. Adam's team is the Celtics. Last year was his first year of basketball and we don't think he scored a basket. He made a basket in this game and he was so excited.

Helen was worried about me playing tennis and came to watch my match after the basketball game. I was taking the antibiotic Levaquin, which comes with an FDA warning label about tendon ruptures being a known side-effect. All she could think about was me lying there writhing in pain with a ruptured achilles. Thankfully, nothing bad happened and we even won the match. One of the guys I played against said that he had just gotten over a sinus infection - after 28 days. He said a guy in his office had the same thing and took about a month as well to kick it. It's bad stuff.

Derek had a basketball game at 1:00. He's on the Grizzlies this year. Derek was a little under the weather, but he did good and even made a basket.

After the game we knew that we needed to get something to eat on the way home because we were all too tired to go back out once we got home. We decided to try the new Flying Biscuit restaurant that opened nearby. We've tried to go a couple times, but it was always too crowded. We've never been to the original so we can't compare, but we weren't impressed. Our biscuits were all rock-hard. They were actually better the next day when we heated them up in the microwave. Maybe it was the fact that we were eating at 3:30 in the afternoon instead of normal breakfast hours.

The rest of the weekend was spent laying around and napping off and on and trying to muster enough energy for that elusive shower. I think I've turned the corner, but Helen is a little behind me and is still very fatigued.

I had gotten the Christmas stuff down from the attic the day before Thanksgiving when I had a little more energy and the boys have been decorating a little a time.

No comments: