Thursday, October 18, 2007

Trip To The Zoo, Etc






With the great weather and the fact that the boys didn't have soccer games this weekend, we decided it was a good time to go to the zoo. We don't get to see my Dad that often, so we invited him to go along, but he had already made other plans. It ended up being a good thing since, as usual, we didn't make it to the zoo anywhere close to our original plan.

I had my tennis match in the morning. The boys worked on their piano assignments and then had some unstructured play time, which is always nice since it seems they're always going from one commitment to another.

On the way to the zoo, I surprised the boys by stopping at Krystal, which is probably their favorite. Derek downed a couple double krystals and several singles. He was also intrigued by the sign showing the results of various Krystal eating contests around the state. The average winning number seemed to be around 70!

It turns out that being late to the zoo was ok, as a couple of hours was plenty of time to see everything. Although we didn't have enough time to ride the train, which disappointed Adam. Helen said that Adam told her that I said we would ride the train, but I reminded her that I don't give hard commitments. I usually respond to questions like, "Can we ride the train?" with sayings like, "That sounds like fun" or "I want to" or something non-committal along those lines, which really infuriates Derek. But, hey, so does continually asking me to commit to something.

After the zoo, I surprised everyone again by stopping at the Varsity for frosted orange drinks and then a short drive over to the Georgia Tech campus for a driving tour. Derek was loving all the surprises. He kept saying how he didn't think we were going to do anything special today and now we were doing all kinds of things.

Although I graduated from Georgia Tech, Derek has been swayed by his classmates to pull for Georgia instead of Georgia Tech. I haven't really tried to dissuade him - after all Georgia has many things going for it like a better football team, a nicer campus, and prettier women. What's not to like? Recently, however, Derek has come to the realization that he will probably go to Georgia Tech since Georgia Tech is for engineering and he wants to be a "Lego" engineer, but he's still going to pull for Georgia in sports.

No comments: