Monday, May 7, 2007

Weekend Update

Derek's Self Portrait

Me reattaching the tire swing

Ground Support

Adam had an eventful week. I was pushing him on the tire swing when the rope busted. He took a good fall, but didn't hurt anything. It did scare him, though. He cried a little and then thought it was cool and couldn't wait to tell Mommy and Derek. Adam also went on a field trip with his preschool class to the "Yellow River Game Ranch". He was excited all week. However, the biggest thing that happened to Adam this past week is that Helen registered him for kindergarten! I don't think she cried, but I'm sure she will when we take him to orientation.

Helen went to the dentist for a routine cleaning and when the hygenist asked if her teeth were bothering her, she pointed out one tooth that didn't feel right. The dentist looked at it and said that her gum had receded quite a bit and that she needed to see a periodonist right away.

Helen saw the periodonist and they confirmed that she needed to have a skin graft otherwise she would be in danger of losing the tooth. She made and appointment for this Friday to have the procedure done. The periodonist also noticed that there were some grooves in one of her back teeth that may be from brushing too hard. We were happy that the problems were discovered, but irritated that these are problems that take a while to develop so that it seems that our dentist should have noticed them earlier. What if Helen had never pointed out the tooth that bothered her? She said she's going to ask the dentist about that.

On Friday, we did our bowling outing at work, but were in a rush to get back for a meeting so we didn't make our usual Wendy's run. I was really tasting that triple too. So much, in fact, that we went to Wendy's for dinner - much to Derek's delight. Derek usually finishes Adam's burger, but this time he also finished Helen's, which is usually reserved for me. Looks like there's going to be competition for Wendy's cleanup from now on. I don't think there's any doubt that he could finish a double combo.

On Friday night, Helen and I watched "Children Of Men", which I borrowed from a friend at work. It was not a "feel good" movie, but very well done.

On Saturday, the boy's baseball games were canceled because of the overnight rain. It was a welcome break. We had a relaxing morning and then went to Johnny's Pizza for lunch before grocery shopping.

In the evening my friend, Tony, who I used to work with came over for dinner. It's hard to stay in touch with old friends once you have kids, so it was good to see Tony. The kids roped him into a couple games of "Go Fish" and checkers. Helen made a Mexican dinner with quesedillas in honor of Cinco de Mayo and even made authentic flan for dessert.

Helen and I stayed up and watched "The Prestige" - another very good movie, just not the "chick flick" Helen's looking for. I told her she's going to have to pick the chick flick herself. For me, it's like the NFL Draft - I'm not looking to fill a specific position - I'm looking for the best athlete.

On Sunday, I went on a long run. Then Helen went on a long run and the boys went with her on their bikes to the middle school track. I drove up a little later with the baseball gear and pitched some batting practice to the boys.

Derek and I went to the hardware store to get some new rope for the tire swing and various other items. He likes to browse the aisles like I do - looking at all the neat stuff. Adam stayed home with Helen and had lunch and a long nap. Derek and I had lunch when we got home and then we read some "Harry Potter" and took a nap.

In the evening, the boys helped me reattach the tire swing after it broke earlier in the week with Adam on it. After dinner we made calls to the family to setup Mother's Day plans for next weekend. We can't believe it's already Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Chris said...

WHOA, glad Adam is ok. Geez Dave...you throw him in the lake, you break the tire swing....poor Adam he's going to need some serious therapy. Ha! You know I'm kidding right?! Since you are of course next in line to raise my child.

We went to Orlando this weekend. I've been running like a mad woman since last Thursday. I have a ton to post on the blog. We'll try to get it all up in the next two days. We're going out with Chef and the Fat Man tonight so it my be tomorrow. Can't wait to see you guys on Sunday! Try to keep everyone in one piece until then...