Thursday, November 13, 2008

Home Project #1: The Garage






I've been too busy to blog lately. One of the reasons is that I've been obsessed with the home improvement projects we've undertaken. The first project was to have the garage painted - floor and all. There were a number of drywall repairs from things like the bathtub leaking above, the water heater busting, and various wear and tear. We also had all the wood trim stain freshened up.

[Edit: I guess, technically the garage is the second project - cutting the trees down was the first]

I'm, evidently, pretty picky as the crew that painted the garage let me know. I think they estimated 2-3 days and it took 5 days. I told them up front that I wanted it to look like new - like new construction. After about the 3rd day, we could tell that the crew wanted to tie things up, but we were persistent about imperfections that we saw. Overall we were happy with the results, but disappointed that we had to be the bad guy and push the crew to finish the job right.

All our stuff was strewn on our driveway for a week and even when the job was finished, for weeks we had to leave our cars on the driveway until the tires cooled so that the hot rubber on the tires wouldn't ruin the new epoxy paint on the floor.

The epoxy floors turned out OK. They probably should have gotten 2 coats, but the application process is to throw on the little decorative specks while the paint is wet, so the crew threw on the specks and we didn't realize until the next day that the coverage wasn't as good as we had hoped. Oh well. It still looks really nice. Now when Helen tells me to just go live in the garage - I might take her up on it.

No comments: