Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Update

Whew! It's been a while since my last post. There's really good news to report about Helen's brother, Mike, and his wife, Chris. They are both out of the hospital. They are doing well and Chris is even blogging again. It all seems like a blur - a bad dream. We can't begin to say how thankful we are that their health is improving.

Congratulations to my sister Kelley and her beau, Paul, for purchasing their first home - actually a triplex. They've been renting one of the units for several years and had an opportunity to purchase the triplex when the aging owners decided to sell. They've become homeowners and slumlords all at once.

My sister Katie has been enduring a terrible time in Baton Rouge following Hurricane Gustav. Although the national media downplayed Gustav because it didn't impact New Orleans, Katie said that the area of the state west of New Orleans was in way worse shape then after Hurricane Katrina. A coworker fo mine, who is from Louisiana, had family and friends come and stay with them a week after Gustav because of flooding and lack of power. There were some horrific traffic jams coming and going.

Our immediate family has been going non-stop with school and sports starting back in addition to inheriting our nieces on weekends. I'm also continuing to meet\coordinate with contractors about various home improvement projects and within the past few weeks I became:
  • Captain of my tennis team when the other captain's work schedule changed.
  • The coach of Adam's soccer team when the original coach's son decided to play baseball a couple days before practice was to start.
  • The tennis chairperson for our swim\tennis club because everyone thought I was organized and would be "perfect" for the job.
  • Point man for our neighborhood in dealing with a budding "Mexican" complex across the street.

...and I'm still trying to hold down my "real" job.

I'm not somebody who likes a lot of hooks in me, so I'm not sure how all these obligations are going to work out. Remember, I'm a take care of yourself teach a man to fish kind of guy, but I'm also a step up and be a man kind of guy and that's what compels me to (and irritates me when others don't) make an effort to make things better in whatever your sphere of influence happens to be.

No comments: